scottish PR CONSULTANT with over 20 years’ experience
Hello, I’m James!
I deliver highly effective PR campaigns that cut through the noise and keep your business front of mind. I ensure you have a strong, positive profile within your sector and your reputation is carefully protected. Perception in everything, but keeping it positive doesn’t happen by accident. This is where I can help.
Over the past 20 years, I have worked with more than 150 large organisations and SMEs across multiple sectors from charities and trusts to energy companies, hotels, tourism brands and rural industries. Most of my clients are Scottish based, and my knowledge of the media here is second to none.
Clients past and present include Apex Hotels, The Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, Lantra Scotland, Senvion SA, The Gannochy Trust, Down Syndrome Scotland, Gibson Kerr, Scottish Communications Group and Taylor Hopkinson.
Services I offer include:
- Director level support at highly competitive prices
- Full suite of PR services from top line strategy to planning and implementation
- Measurable, results driven approach that delivers a tangible return
- Over 20 years experience
- Multiple sector experience
- Additional marketing services through partner network
Director at Candid Media PR
What I do
Based in Perth and Edinburgh, I look after all your PR and reputational needs, from developing a strategy to the detail of planning and implementation. I have extensive experience curating engaging stories for traditional press, social media and the influencer network. Think of me as your in-house press office (without the overheads) harnessing nearly 20 years experience to tell your story to the world.
I also offer ad-hoc services paid by the hour: PR and reputation consultancy, press release writing, copywriting and content creation, influencer outreach, social media management as well as a suite of marketing services through my partner network.
PR AND media relations
I am an expert at delivering highly effective PR strategies, telling your story through a variety of channels, from social media and the influencer network, to the traditional press, including local and national newspapers, magazines, TV and radio.
I carefully manage and curate relationships with key journalists and influencers, enhancing your reputation and building brand awareness so you can get on with the day job.
Whether you need advice on writing and distributing a press release, planning an event or developing a fully fledged PR campaign, I’m here to help.
I have over 10 years experience working with influencers, with an impressive ‘little black book’ of contacts spanning multiple interests from luxury lifestyle to travel, consumer goods and food and drink.
I can get the top influencers in your sector talking about your business, driving interest from highly engaged, niche audiences.
Services include developing influencer marketing strategies, managing outreach campaigns and special events, developing influencer ready content and photography.
I can manage all your social media needs, from setting up new accounts to building your following through relevant, engaging content. I can manage your social media accounts 24/7, responding to comments and managing your reputation online. I’m an experts at analysing data so you can track the success of your social platforms and gain useful visitor insights. Just leave it to me.
COPYWRITING & CONTENT
I take time to fully understand what makes your business tick, developing expertly crafted content in a tone and style that connects deeply with your audience.
I have extensive experience writing press releases, opinion pieces, news features, blogs, website copy, social media posts. I also proof read and enhance any existing documents you are working on.
Our Latest Work
- After a thorough communications audit, we worked with the Trust to develop a detailed strategy and working plan to help them deliver their organisational objectives and establish a clear line of communication with multiple target audiences;
- Working with our partners, we refreshed the Trust’s brand, creating a more consistent and contemporary look that better reflected the Trust’s core purpose and values. Brand work included updating the logo and developing a suite of branded materials from e-mail signatures to a new website, business cards, pop up banners, folders, signage and word templates;
- Developed an engaging new website with a bold, contemporary design that better represented the Trust and more effectively connected with its core audiences;
- Planned and implemented a major signage project that ensured visitors could find Trust assets more easily, as well as communicating core brand messages consistently and clearly;
- Set up social media accounts from a standing start. Working with the Trust’s team, we collectively achieved over 10,000 social media impressions and 5000 interactions in under six months. The Trust’s social media has become their ‘go to’ platform for communicating news and interacting with target audiences.
- We were the communications consultancy for Senvion’s Northern European Hub, responsible for 16 countries including the UK & Ireland, Scandinavia, Netherlands, France and Germany;
- Responsible for marketing, external and internal communications, public relations and events across all regions;
- Managed £1 million annual budget;
- Reported to senior management team both in the UK and Senvion’s head office in Hamburg, Germany;
- Created and implemented a strategic communications strategy and plan for the year;
- Managed a team of three people in Senvion’s Edinburgh office;
- Worked in collaboration with multiple departments from sales to project management;
- Supplier management;
- Event planning and management.
- Managed internal and external communications for re-brand and departmental restructuring, including the creation of a new hub in northern Europe to streamline processes;
- Involved in communicating restructure of Senvion’s senior management team on local, national and international level;
- Delivered all the key performance targets despite 20% budget cuts after first quarter.
- Over three years we have generated over 80 links for DS Scotland;
- Increased unique visitors to donation page by 20% year on year for three years;
- Online donations have increased by 15% over this period due to web traffic inflation;
- Generated over 1000 pieces of social media content, 5000 social media impressions and 3000 social media interactions;
- Reached an audience of over 15 million worldwide;
- Generated over 150 pieces of coverage including articles in mainstream press and broadcast channels: STV News, BBC, Reporting Scotland, The Times, The Scotsman, Daily Record, Edinburgh Evening News, Daily Mail, The Sun.
- Through a targeted thought leadership campaign, including a major research project, we generated over 40 links from fertility and lifestyle blogs, influencer channels and mainstream press channels over a two year period;
- Increased unique visitors by 15% year on year for two years;
- Generated over 2000 social media impressions and 1500 social media interactions;
- Activities helped lift Fertility Clinics to top half of page one of Google on 90% of search terms;
- We also generated 10 pieces of coverage across mainstream national titles including the Daily Mail, The Times, Huffington Post, Daily Telegraph and BBC Radio;
- Reached an online audience of over 10 million people.
- Over three year period reached a UK audience of over 15 million people. Spa launch reached over 2 million in two month.
- Achieved over 100 pieces of coverage across a range of travel, health and business media from the Times, to Harpers Bizarre and Tatler Magazine;
- Increased unique visitors to ONE SPA website by 20% year on year for three years;
- Activities helped maintain the Sheraton Grand’s position on top half of page one of major search engines on 90% of search terms
People who love us!
“James really took the time to understand our business and what we were looking for. He delivered on everything we wanted and more. He is someone who gets results and his efforts have had a major positive impact on the business.”
Dr Caroline Phillips, Founder of Fertilty Clinics Abroad
“We’ve worked with Candid Media for three years and have been impressed with James’ professionalism and ability to get results. With his help, we have significantly raised our profile across key markets in Europe and abroad, particularly for the Spa which required a profile boost following a long refurbishment period.”
Tristan Nesbit , GM Edinburgh Sheraton
Pandora Summerfield, CEO of Downs Syndrome Scotland
Catherine Karlin, Consensus Collaboration Scotland
Check out more recommendations and endorsements on LinkedIn!